Tuesday, June 19, 2007

More Visitors!

In addition to more butterflies, moths and dragonflies, we've enjoyed seeing a few other visitors around the patio lately.

First, this is Ori.


Well, I should say that "Ori" is the name I gave him, and that's just what I do if I'm not formally introduced to a neighborhood animal. If I don't like them very much, they get names like "Barky Dog." If I do, they get names like "Ori."

ANYway.

Ori loves to come walking through our backyard late in the day, but not for a leisurely stroll. He walks like he's on a mission. The funny thing is that his determined stride is undermined by the fact that he only walks on the sidewalk, never on the grass. It gives the impression that he's a bit high-maintenance and can't get his toesies wet. It really confused him when we put in the patio, I can tell you. He walked all over it and smelled every inch of it the first time he came through -- hilarious.

Unlike most of the neighbor-owned animals in our neck of the woods, Ori isn't very social. He's one of the few neighborhood cats/dogs that won't let me near him -- he skitters away pretty quickly, hence the photo of his rear end.

And this is Blackberry. (Wow, these photos really aren't turning out that well, but you get the idea. He's a bunny.)



Granted, he doesn't match the physical description in the book, but something about his attitude is clever, hence the name. Blackberry's the first rabbit I've seen regularly this year. When I do see him, he's usually in the backyard of the empty house next to ours, or scurrying around the front of it.

It's particularly nice to have him around on a regular basis. Back when we lived in St. Paul, two rabbits named Zoe and Dozer frequently hung out under the cherry tree in our tiny backyard. But when we first moved into the Minneapolis house, I saw rabbits only on my walk to and from the train station, so it's nice to have a rabbit around again.

I was lucky enough to be on the patio -- and had the camera! -- with M and the Awesome NeighborsTM when both of these critters showed up last night. I'll keep you posted on their return visits. :)

No comments: